Welcome To Swain County

Frequently-Asked Questions
About Swain County Government

Q: When do the Commissioners meet and how can I get an item on the agenda or speak at the meeting?
A: Commissioners Meet Twice A Month

The Swain County Board of Commissioners holds two meetings per month: one work session meeting on the second Tuesday of each month at 5:30pm followed by a regular session meeting at 6:00pm. There is another work session on the fourth Tuesday of each month at 5:30pm. (except that if a meeting day is a legal holiday, the meeting will be held on the following Monday). Meetings are held at the Swain County Courthouse Building.

Please click here for information on agendas and public comment.

Q: Where can I find minutes of the Commissioners' meetings?
A: Agendas and minutes are published on this site. Agendas and minutes are also available in the Administration Office.

Q: Where is the Tag Office?
A: The Tag Office is located in the Tax Office in the Courthouse Building.

Q: What kind of materials will the County accept for recycling?
A: For a list of acceptable and unacceptable materials click here.

Q: How can I apply for a job with the County?
A: For current job openings and employee benefits click here.

Q: Where can I find information regarding the Occupancy Tax? A: A pdf explaining the Occupancy Tax can be viewed and downloaded here. Information regarding penalities can be found here. The Occupancy Tax Report to be filled out and turned into the Finance Office can be downloaded here.


Courthouse Building
101 Mitchell Street
Bryson City, NC 28713

Mailing Address:
PO Box 2321
Bryson City, NC 28713

Kevin King
County Manager
Phone 828-488-9273, ext. 2231
Fax 828-488-2754

Cindi C. Woodard
Clerk to the Board &
Administrative Assistant
Phone 828-488-9273, ext. 2225

Office Hours:
8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Monday - Friday